How nice to see the Sakrebyle elephant camp!
Sakrebyle Elephant Camp is a hub for captive elephants in Karnataka. Located at a distance of 14 km from Shimoga on the Shimoga-Tirthahalli road, it is considered as one of the best camps for elephants in the state. The camp is managed by the Karnataka Forest Department. The elephants in these camps are trained by skilled masters. The camp is located on the banks of the Tunga River.
The Sakrebyle Elephant Camp attracts tourists. It is one of the eco-tourism destinations of Karnataka where the general public is given a chance to see the huge tusks.
Some facts about the Sakrebyle elephant camp
Hours: 8:30 am-11pm daily
Best time to visit: Visit any season.
Entry Fee: Rs. And Rs 100 per migrant.
Elephant ride: Adults: INR 75 / - and Children (5-13) INR 38 / -
Duration of the visit: 2-3 hours
The main attraction of the Sakrebyle elephant camp
- Visiting before 9 am can see elephants playing in the water.
- Visitors can feed elephants with special food prepared by mahout. No outside food is allowed. The mahout can only serve canned food.
- Tourists can also watch elephants feeding and training activities.
- Travelers are not allowed to use flash when taking pictures because they excite animals.
- There is an opportunity to ride an elephant in the camp.
- There is a chance to trek in the camp. Tourists can enjoy the beautiful place around.
How to reach Sakrebyle Elephant Camp
By the road
Shimoga is well connected to major cities of Karnataka by road. The Sakrebyle Elephant Camp is located at a distance of 14 km from Shimoga and 288 km from Bangalore. Several buses ply to Shimoga or Shimoga from various places in Karnataka. From Shimoga, tourists can hire a taxi to reach the Sakrebyle elephant camp.
The nearest railway station is Shimoga. The major stations of Karnataka are well connected to Shimoga by rail. Tourists can travel to Shimoga from any part of Karnataka. Tourists can hire a taxi from the Shimoga Railway Station or take a local bus to reach the Sakrebyle elephant camp.
The Mangalore Airport is the nearest airport to Shimoga which is 165 km away. Private vehicles and taxis are also available from the airport.